Monday, October 11, 2010

Rawcipe: Massaged Kale Salad with Apple and Dates

I made this salad yesterday and brought it to my raw group.

RECIPE SOURCE:
Daily Unadventures in Cooking Blog

RECIPE TITLE:
Massaged Kale Salad with Apple and Dates

SERVINGS:
2
*This served much more than 2 especially since there was other food served with it.  It makes quite a large bowl full of salad.

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 bunch kale
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 apple
  • 2 medjool dates *I used 4 dates
  • 1 teaspoon splash olive oil
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
  • pepper
Wash the kale and spin or pat it dry. Remove the stems and discard. Chop the kale into thin strips about 1/4-1/2″ long and put in a bowl. Sprinkle with the salt and massage with your hands for 1-2 minutes. The kale should start to release a green liquid. Allow to sit for a few minutes while you prep the other ingredients.


Wash the apple and chop it into thin slices. Remove the seeds from the dates and cut into quarters lengthwise. Chop pieces into 1/4″ bite size morsels. *I cut the dates in half and then thinly sliced them to get more 'bank for my buck'.




Using a paper towel squeeze any excess liquid out of kale and transfer to a salad bowl, toss with apple and dates, drizzle with oil and vinegar and season with pepper. Taste and correct with acid, salt and pepper.


MY REVIEW:
  • I have never had a kale salad before b/c I've been afraid of it.  I put it in my green smoothies b/c then it's like a hidden ingredient.  Kale was intimidating to me b/c it can be tough to chew raw (meaning you could chew it forever), but that's the point of massaging it with salt - to loosen it up.  It also can be kind of bitter tasting.  I didn't find any difficulty in trying to chew it in this salad.  Success!
  • The apple cider vinegar is a bit much for me, but it does work well with the ingredients in this salad.  Next time I think I would just use less of it and use a bit more olive oil.
  • The apples and dates help give this salad some sweetness to offset the kale.
  • I'm no longer afraid of kale.  I would definitely make this again!

No comments:

Post a Comment