Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Pace of a Camel

Today a friend told me a little story that gives a good picture of the emotional journey that I have been on for these past almost five months.

When people in the middle east (back in the day) needed to move, they would have to ride camels all the way to their new home.  Taking a camel requires a much slower pace and can take days, weeks or even months to get to their destination.  This gave their souls time to adjust to the change and to mourn the loss of their previous home before celebrating their new adventures.  A large part of their soul was heavily invested in their previous home.


In today's day and age we could move from the east coast of the states to the west coast in one day simply by flying there. In today's instantaneous culture, it is easy to forget that just because we can move so quickly, doesn't mean our souls follow suit.  Our souls need time to adjust and time to reflect amidst the chaos that surrounds us.


I have made some drastic changes in the past 20 weeks and just because I moved so quickly with those changes, doesn't mean that my soul has followed suit.  I think that has been the hardest part of this entire thing.  Overall, the food really isn't the issue.  It's the emotional and social aspect of it that has been the most difficult.  


I remind myself that I am on a journey and that my soul is trying to keep up with all the changes.  Maybe this is what was going on when I posted this.  Parts of my soul are catching up, but there is still a lot that was left behind, so to speak.  


And just because I write about the 'difficulties' doesn't mean I'm not following through on the lifestyle.  I'm just trying to process everything that's going on inside my head.


Now I'm going to chill out and let my soul catch up to my changed behavior.



No comments:

Post a Comment