Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Fully Alive

I continue to have insight into both the changes I'm making with my diet, but also in the changes I am needing to make regarding MS treatment.  One of the mantras of eating raw vegan is that it's good because you're eating "living foods".  Don't we all want to be ALIVE?  For me, this is a somewhat new concept.  I only thought of being alive in terms of my relationships or the activities I was involved in - not my food.

I heard this recently and it has been running through my mind for weeks now:
"Every day we have choices to make that either give us life or bring us closer to death."
I think it was meant more literally, but I am taking it both literally and metaphorically.  With each life-giving food I eat I am bringing my body into a more healthy state of being.  That in turn gives me the energy and stamina to explore activities that contribute to my overall well being.  It is a wonderful cycle to be in.  I'm used to hearing the term "vicious cycle" and I have been in those more than once, but for once it's nice to be in a "positive cycle"!

I personally enjoy heavy metal music - or at least something with a bit of an edge to it.  This song played on my iPod on the way into work this morning and I thought it was perfectly fitting, both with how I am feeling and some of what I've been through:

Fully Alive by Flyleaf (listen here)

Telling Layla's story spoken
'Bout how all her bones are broken
Hammers fall on all the pieces
Two months in the cover creases

Fully alive
More than most
Ready to smile and love life
Fully alive
Now she knows how to believe in futures

All my complaints shrink to nothing
I'm ashamed of all my somethings
She's glad for one day of comfort
Only because she has suffered

Fully alive
More than most
Ready to smile and love life
Fully alive
Now she knows how to believe in futures

Fully alive
More than most
Ready to smile and love life
Fully alive
Now she knows how to believe in futures

Fully alive
More than most
Ready to smile and love life
Fully alive
Now she knows how to believe in futures

1 comment:

  1. This is actually a comment from my sister that she had to put on FB, since her phone wouldn't let her post it here:

    Ok. Wow. Love this one! Really making me think! I love u, ur an inspiration in making me want to make an effort to be healthy again, its easy to slip into SAD when everyone around u eats that way.
    -Laura

    ReplyDelete