Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Learning

I'll be reposting my 'journaling' from when I started this journey and eventually I'll get caught up! I originally wrote this on July 2.

Yesterday I did go to the farmer's market and was honestly disappointed. Granted, this is not the HUGE farmer's market that is within 40 minutes, but a little offshoot of it that comes to my area of town. I was expecting tons of variety and instead everyone pretty much had the same stuff and it wasn’t obvious what was organic and what wasn’t. I think there will be more variety next month as the summer season continues. There were probably about a dozen farm represented there. Either way, locally grown veggies are still better than store bought which have been shipped across the country, so I bought some fresh green beans, a gorgeous head of broccoli, some zucchini and then some red potatoes (my hubby needs something to eat!).

I sat down this afternoon and went through Ani’s Raw Food Kitchen cookbook by Any Phyo and looked up recipes that contain the veggies I purchased and so either tonight or tomorrow I’m going to go and buy the other ingredients. Honestly, I’m FREAKED OUT about trying some of the recipes b/c it’s so different, but I want to try some things with multiple ingredients.

Today I ate half an avocado. Raw. Just like that. I’ve never done that before! Usually it’s a guacamole or thin slices in a sandwich. Eating it just plain leaves me confused about the flavor. It’s kind of smokey, nutty, and maybe like some type of bean…I can’t quite place it. I had to force myself to eat the entire half, but I can see where I will learn to really enjoy this very-full-of-omega 3s-goodie.

I am on my third day of drinking green smoothies (any dark green (I’ve been using spinach), with some fruit (I’ve been using a banana and a few strawberries) added to help disguise the taste of the greens by themselves, and a little bit of water and then blend it all together) and I'm excited b/c I almost gave up on them last night! I put too much cantaloupe in with the strawberries last night and it made my stomach sick. Needless to say, I didn't finish it and had most of it left, so this morning I took the leftovers and added a banana and BAM! just like that it changed the entire thing and made it delicious. Success!

No comments:

Post a Comment