Monday, August 23, 2010

Purpose of Food?

A concept that I have never, truly cared about until recently is the idea that food is for our nutrition.  Sure, we want to enjoy our food and want it to be good for us, but I found myself going solely for the enjoyment factor and not really caring about what it was doing to my body.  Not until my health became more in jeopardy did I even seriously entertain the thought of changing what I put in my mouth.  I thought I would be doomed for a life of boring food if I ate healthy and I didn't want to go that route. 

What a lie that was!

Instead, I feel liberated.  I eat guilt free.  I get to eat as much as I want.  I don't feel sluggish after eating a large meal.  Instead I feel energized.  I also feel...clean...and pure.  To know that my internal organs and bloodstream have wonderful nutrients and minerals flowing through them instead of saturated fats and empty calories is, in an odd way, comforting.

I found this article by Debra Augur on the purpose of food which kind of sums up my viewpoint.

No comments:

Post a Comment