Saturday, August 7, 2010

Raw Chocolate Mylk!

I'll be reposting my 'journaling' from when I started this journey and eventually I'll get caught up! I originally wrote this on July 11.

Today marks the start of week 3 on this raw vegan lifestyle. I am learning so much about myself and about the foods I eat.

Today I tried my first raw “mylk” (i.e. milk). It was great! I thought I’d start out ‘easy’ (meaning something that would be hard to NOT like) with chocolate mylk – it tastes great! And was great with my ‘cereal’ of soaked buckwheat groats this morning – supposedly the flavoring is supposed to mimic cocoa puffs or something of the like. The mylk consists of almonds, pitted dates, a pinch of sea salt, water and of course organic cocoa powder. Now I have a treat that will last me a few days. :) …and there’s NO guilt in drinking as much as I want!

I am appreciating the challenge of this severe change in living. It is obviously a complete and total change. With each meal that I am successful in eating the foods I have chosen to eat, I feel a great deal of accomplishment. Don’t get me wrong – there have been many times in the past two weeks where I have begged myself to eat whatever I want vs. what I know I should. But when you don’t have any other options in your house it’s hard to go wrong!

I feel happy that I have dropped a few pounds and am interested in seeing how my body reacts to this in the long run. Right now it is still in total shock. The first week I lost quite a bit of weight, and this week almost nothing. But better than the weight loss is the fact that I am putting GOOD things in my body – nothing bad. It makes me feel good on the inside.

I continue to learn how much I need to eat so I don’t feel tired/weak. The last couple of days I have been trying to proactively eat before I start feeling hunger so that I don’t get to the place where I need food THIS. SECOND. And I’m getting better at always having something with me – like water and then some type of vegetable or fruit in my purse just in case. It’s worked great so far.

I used to think it was ridiculous that someone could get filled up on salad. That never made sense to me since it wasn’t “real” food. I am learning that salad can and does fill you up – especially the more veggies you put in it. I am expanding my palate and even tried zucchini in my salad today (normally I’ve only had it baked with some salt on it or in zucchini bread).

I am going to try to incorporate at least one new raw recipe each week into my options for food. This week it was the chocolate mylk (and I might even make the regular vanilla mylk later) and I think next week I want to try Black Sesame Sunflower Bread since typical bread is something I’m missing very much. I know it won’t be the same but it seems like it’ll be a great substitute.

2 comments:

  1. you're doing so well!!! Your dedication amazes me......keep up the good changes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the encouragement, J!

    ReplyDelete