Thursday, August 19, 2010

How do YOU want to live the latter years of your life?

I was at my general/family (as opposed to MS) doctor's office today waiting in the waiting room and enjoying my time people watching.  This is what I observed:
  • Most of the patients were on the elderly side (at least 60 to probably 80 years old).
  • All those elderly patients were women.
  • Every elderly woman was obese, not just overweight.
  • Every elderly woman was not able to walk normally.
  • Some of the elderly women had breathing issues.
  • Only one of the elderly women had a happy demeanor and actually smiled.
{On a side note, this bullet list reminds me of those math word problems where you have to answer a question like: How many elderly women who were overweight had breathing issues and were happy? :) }

 I don't want to ever be like these elderly women!
  • I want to be able to breathe normally and without effort.
  • I want to be able to walk easily and without pain.
  • I want to be at a healthy weight.
  • I want to be like the one happy woman and have a good attitude and outlook, despite what my circumstances may be.
  • I want to be able to have a higher quality of life.
Amazing what life lessons you can see when you actually open your eyes and pay attention.  THIS is why I am changing my lifestyle.  I want to be the 80-year-old woman who goes to the doctor for an annual check up and skips through the front door, filled with joy and energy, and leaves with an A+ from the dr. and a clean bill of health.

I felt sad for those women.

What would you rather be like?

5 comments:

  1. Well me personally, I've always been striving for obesity since I was a teen, so I guess I found something we finally disagree on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I kid. But this does remind me of a conversation I had recently with a co-worker which is only mildly related to your story, mostly to your title. But he said all people, Xians and NonXians alike seem to strive for the same goal to work real hard to retire at 60 and do nothing for 20 years except golf and vacation and lay around. He said, if we believe in Heaven why are we trying to create heaven on earth for ourselves? Why not spend ourselves to the very end on the things of God. Maybe we stop working but we continue to give of our time, energy, resources and knowledge. It made me think... And sorry this has nothing to do with Raw-ness! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, Mis. I like the points he brought up...it's making me think too...

    ReplyDelete
  4. good observations....and good points to consider. skipping definitely sounds like a fun way to live!

    ReplyDelete
  5. and no kidding....my special word to type was: rawly.....hmmm.

    ReplyDelete