Saturday, August 7, 2010

Rawcipe: Angel-Hair Squash Pasta in Pesto Sauce

This was my dinner tonight!  I've been meaning to make this since week one of when I started this all.  See my review at the bottom...

RECIPE SOURCE:
Ani's Raw Food Kitchen cookbook by Ani Phyo

RECIPE TITLE:
Angel-Hair Squash Pasta in Pesto Sauce

SERVINGS:
4

INGREDIENTS (organic and raw):
Noodles:
  • 4 zucchini squash
Cut off the tops and bottoms of each squash, and then cut in half.  Use spiralizer to spiralize the sqash into angel-hair noodles.  Put noodles in a large bowl and set aside.  *First, I didn't know that zucchini was a squash...I just thought it was zucchini. ;)  Second, I don't have a spiralizer, so an alternative way to do it is to use a vegetable peeler.  First peel the skin off a whole zucchini (don't cut it in half), then peel away the zucchini, layer by layer until you start to reach the seeds, then stop b/c you don't want seeds in your noodles.


Pistachio Pesto Sauce:
  • 2 cloves garlic *I only used 1 clove b/c I prefer a more subtle garlic flavor
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt
  • 2 cups pistachios
  • 4 cups basil leaves, lightly packed, about 2 bunches
  • Juice of 3 limes, about 6 tablespoons
  • 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
Process garlic, salt and pistachios into powder.  Set aside.  Pulse basil with lime juice.  Add pistachio meal back into processor with olive oil.  Process until mixed well.






Using the back of a spoon (or a spatula), mix in Pistachio Pesto with noodles really well. You'll notice the squash beginning to release water. This water will help mix the thick pesto with the pasta.

Will keep for three days in the fridge.


Presentation:
*I skipped this part b/c I don't care so much for presentation when it's just me eating it.
  • 2 cups spinach leaves
  • 2 tablespoons hemp oil
  • Pinch sea salt
In a medium bowl, toss presentation ingredients, with salt to taste.
To serve, place spinach leaves on bottom of four bowls or dishes.  Top each with Angel-Hair Sqash Pasta in Pesto Sauce.

Pasta in Pesto Sauce will keep for one day in the fridge.  Store sqash pasta and Pesto Sauce separately to keep for a few days.

MY REVIEW:
  • This was the first meal I've eaten where I haven't felt like I was missing out on something!  I kept ooohing and aahing over it.  My mind had a hard time grasping the concept that this was raw and that the noodles weren't really noodles.  This dish really tastes like the cooked version.
  • The flavor was so light and fresh!  I'm so glad I like basil. 
  • With real pasta, I like a little less sauce than most people do.  The same was true with this raw version.  I like the pesto, but I just like a little bit rather than the noodles being completely smothered in it.  Just my personal preference.

3 comments:

  1. Very impressive, Amanda!! Thanks for posting this. It's been fun to read about your journey. I'm on a similar path, for different reasons, but I'm taking it much more slowly. I'm about 85% vegan, but only about 60% raw. I eat a lot of cooked legumes, soups and gluten free foods. I've learned a few tricks along the way ~ like carrying emergency food in my purse. Do you know about Larabars? I'm rarely without one in my bag, just in case. Nuts and dry fruit keeps, so having a small bit in your bag doesn't require as much thought if you run out door at the last minute. Have fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks SOOO Good!!! Maybe we can make this with you some time!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kathy - Thanks for reading! I appreciate the tip on the Larabars! Based on their website they seem like a good backup plan, although I think I still would prefer true fresh fruit and nuts, but I think it's at least another option at my disposal! I haven't blogged about this yet, but so what if you're not 100% raw vegan? You have obviously been making improvements to your diet - good work! Feels good, doesn't it?

    Mis - Thanks. :) It was fun to make and you're right, we should make it together sometime. P.S. All of my recipes are really fun to make with children. They get to touch the food and you don't have to worry about hot stoves/ovens. :)

    ReplyDelete