Thursday, August 5, 2010

Rough

I'll be reposting my 'journaling' from when I started this journey and eventually I'll get caught up! I originally wrote this on July 3.

Boy am I still learning…

I threw up this afternoon. I think it was from lack of food and too much heat. I had a green smoothie for breakfast, but then barely anything for lunch as we were out and about. I tried to eat something – I went to Subway and got a salad. I’m never doing that again. Their spinach is fine on their sandwiches, but definitely not good plain. So basically I only ate cucumbers. To top it off it was very hot and humid outside today.

But instead of going home soon after (where I would have plenty of access to lots of veggies and fruits), I had to make one more stop: the natural foods store I’ve been looking forward to visiting! And that I needed to go to in order to get specific ingredients I need to prepare my food this coming week. That place was very cool. It was overwhelming, but had everything I needed. I can’t wait to go back again b/c I was getting distracted with not feeling so great and just wanted to go home. So we left and when we got home I laid on the couch b/c I REALLY wasn’t feeling well. Within 5 minutes I was assuming the position in front of the porcelain throne.

I immediately felt better and ate a breadstick (courtesy of my husband picking it up at the grocery store) – I know, I know. NOT part of the plan. But I didn’t care at that moment b/c I was starving and was not feeling up to eating anything that reminded me of what I had just expelled. I then had about a cup of organic vegetable soup (again, I know, not part of the plan), but better than eating the brats Ry was cooking up.

Being out in public today made me more fully realize how hard this is when I don’t have my kitchen at my fingertips. I’ve set up my blender and my food processor to be ready for use at any moment so I can whip up a goodie whenever I get the urge. I will have to become a better planner so I can be prepared when I’m out of the house. Tomorrow will be interesting if we do end up going to a family party/parade for the 4th. If I’m going to sway from the strict raw vegan diet, I’m going to shoot for organic vegan. So still much better than what I was doing, but not quite to where I want to be.

Now that I’m becoming more aware of my nutrition intake and how so many foods are such a waste to our bodies, I can’t help but notice how much junk there is out there. Every radio or tv commercial is promoting crap. “Food” that almost quite literally does absolutely nothing for our bodies.

I’m paraphrasing, but I read something from Ani Phyo’s Raw Kitchen cookbook that essentially said that when we eat poor foods (i.e. anything without nutritional value), we soon after may feel hungry again so then we eat even more poor foods. However, the reason we may be feeling hungry again is b/c our body is letting us know that it actually needs nutrients, not more fat, sugar, etc. That idea keeps floating through my head as I down my green smoothies and reach for a vegetable when I start feeling hungry, even though I still wish I had chips and cereal in my cupboards.

3 comments:

  1. "However, the reason we may be feeling hungry again is b/c our body is letting us know that it actually needs nutrients, not more fat, sugar, etc."

    A good rule for EVERYONE to live by!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So this question is in no way asked in a snotty way (hard when you can't convey tone over the computer). I really want to know. I am fascinated with your journey into this area, and love reading your blog posts about it. How do you go about making sure that you get all the protein and nutrients that you need? I know nothing about the raw vegan diet. I would love to read a post on that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Erica,
    I'm fascinated by it all too. :) I appreciate your curiosity b/c I feel the same way.

    Honestly, I never cared before if I got enough protein and nutrients...in fact, I would say I very likely got very little actual nutritional value from the foods I ate before. I had such a poor diet; I just didn't care. The question you asked is one I get frequently, so you're not alone in asking it! (Separately I am working on a list of FAQ's that I will address in the future.)

    Anyway, I'm still learning how to get the appropriate amounts of nutrition and have an appointment to meet with a nutritionist within the next couple of months as I really want to do this the right way.

    Dark green leafy vegetables contain protein as do nuts, both of which I consume regularly. I didn't really eat a ton of meat before anyway, so I don't feel like I'm missing out. That's my very short answer for now. :)

    ReplyDelete